Sunday, December 18, 2011

Some Dry Grinding there .....

This weekend I decided to grind some dry powders which can be stored for a good time in air tight containers.
These serve as a great accompaniment for dosas, akki roti and warm rice.

1) Kollu (Horse Gram) podi -
Recipe is as stated here  - http://www.kamalascorner.com/2009/08/kollu-horse-gram-podi.html

I face the problem of water retention in my body at times. This mostly happens when engrossed in work at office, I do not get up at regular intervals to drink water. Regular exercise helps avoid this problem largely. When it boils down to the question of how one can cure this problem through ones' diet, the answer I found from my mother is Horse Gram or Kollu (in Tamil).

Horse Gram is known to remove the excess water retained in body and aids substantial weight loss. However, elders state consumption of horse gram also generates heat in the body and thereby restricts its usage/intake to weekly once. Please consult elders in your family before eating horse gram on a regular basis, they may give specific and apt advise that fits your personal health conditions.

I took to eating horse gram, not for the weight loss reasons but in an attempt to try out how it tasted, like any other pulse I wanted its protein component. I made a simple dal using horse gram, onion and tomato and had it with rotis. Horse gram is very tough and needs to be soaked for 12 hours and then pressure cooked.
I would not say the dal made from horse gram was very tasty - not as much as the moong, masoor and arhar (toor) varieties that I generally cook and eat.

I decided to make a powder out of the horse gram left at home following the recipe from Kamala's Corner. This powder tasted very delicious and it went well along with warm rice and little ghee.
I intend to add a spoon or two of this Kollu Podi prepared while I make rasam. I am sure it will help enhance the flavor of the rasam and add goodness to it.

2) Flax Seeds Dry Chutney Powder - 
I had some flax seeds left at home and here comes the preparation of another dry powder using it.

The recipe to be referred is at  - Indian Food Court, link below -
http://cuisineindia.wordpress.com/2011/07/27/alsi-seeds-flax-seeds-dry-chutney-powder/#comment-9126

I used the same measure of ingredients and followed instructions Prathiba Aunty has provided in her site. I did not add copra, the chutney powder sans copra was also tasty. I did not have Byadgi chilli powder at home (Byadgi chilli is a variety of chilli grown in Haveri, Karnataka) , so I roasted and ground 8-10 Byadgi Chillies to make up for the quantity of chilli powder used.

Flax seeds have many essential fatty acids in them and are considered vital for healthy skin and hair growth.  Try checking out the benfits of Flax seeds/alsi seeds. I intend to use this powder as an accompaniment for dosas and akki roti. I also intend to slit brinjals (small, purple ones), stuff them with this powder, then fry them with little oil on a tawa, guess this will make a yummy, dry curry.

3) Paruppu podi - Ahh.. here comes my quintessential favorite - Paruppu Podi. Nothing can beat this in taste when mixed in warm rice with little ghee. This dry powder is one of the main reasons why I find Andhra meals very inviting, Paruppu podi is provided liberally in an Andra meal; in restaurants, it is called Gun Powder :) 


The recipe below which I follow without modifications has helped me churn very fine Paruppu Podi - so delicious that my mother loves this version thoroughly. Made from wholesome toor dal, the recipe in the link below is sans garlic (one in Andhra restaurants have liberal dose of red chillies and garlic in them)
Link - http://lakshmisindiancurry.blogspot.com/2010/08/paruppu-podi.html

End of my post .... I am sure, most of you would be getting ready with a fry pan and a mixer to churn out some dry powders :) Have fun .. GRINDING !! 

No comments:

Post a Comment