Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Eggless Baking: Custard powder Cherry Cake

One more attempt at baking a cake and this time too I picked up a recipe for trial from Divya Kudua's Easy Cooking blog. Please follow the link - Eggless custard powder snack cake for the original recipe.

I made some modifications to the recipe in the above link and I am glad these changes I made did not let me down. Without further ado, below is the list of ingredients I used and the method.

Ingredients

All Purpose flour - 1 1/2 cups
Vanilla flavoured Custard Powder - 3/4 cup (I used Brown and Polson brand) 
Baking powder - 2 1/4 tsp
Sugar - 1 cup 
Vanilla essence - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 1/2 cup 
Milk - 1 cup
Cherries (sweetened) - 50 g (cut into halves) 
The recipe I followed by Divya Kudua uses butter 150 g instead of oil and 3/4 cup sugar. 


Method


1.In a bowl, take milk, sugar and beat well using an electrical hand mixer at low speed for a minute. To this add, the baking powder and beat again, let the mixture rest for a while and ensure bubbles appear at the top. 


2.Add oil too to this mixture and beat well, again for a whole minute. 


3.Add vanilla essence and beat for a few seconds. 


4. Prior to performing steps 1-3, sift custard powder and flour together and keep aside. 


5. Prepare the tin for baking. I used an eight inch ring mould/bundt cake tin. I lined bottom and sides with oil, after greasing, placed cherries onto the bottom of the tin, sprinkled little flour on the sides and bottom. 


6.Preheat the oven to 180'C 


7. Fold in the flour and custard powder mixture to the wet ingredients in the bowl of step 3 , fold smoothly ensuring there are no lumps. 


8. Pour the cake batter prepared into the ring mould slowly. Bake at 180'C for 45 minutes, check for the knife coming out clean. 


9. Cool the cake on rack and invert, if baked well, the cake will come out as a whole with cherries engraved on top. 


I used oil instead of butter, used little extra sugar and the results were right for me. The cake was nice yellow in color due to addition of custard powder. The cherries on top added little richness to the otherwise simple, snack cake. 


Below are some pictures - 


Cake in the tin, waiting for it to cool - the apple perched on top of the tin is just for a minor special effect
Tin inverted, cake comes out clean, cherries seen on top of the cake

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite cakes!!I love cherries in my cake too!

    ReplyDelete